The 2017 Royal Rumble is shaping up to be quite the event. After Goldberg and Brock Lesnar, another huge name has been added to the January 29 event and it is none other than The Undertaker. On his return to Monday Night Raw, the first time March last year, the Phenom confirmed his appearance for the Rumble, 10 years since he last won it in 2007 at the AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas.
Taker then went on to take out WWE Universal Champions Kevin Owens and the newly-crowned Universal Champion Chris Jericho (having defeated Roman Reigns in a title match) with a Chokeslam each after the show went off air.
The blockbuster announcement was made when the Deadman crashed general manager Mick Foley’s performance assessment. As the RAW commissioner Stephanie McMahon began weighing in on the hardcore legend’s job evaluation, the bells tolled and out walked the Undertaker. “I’m back. And I think it’s important for the world to know that I will be entering the Royal Rumble,” he said.
The January 10 edition of RAW took place at New Orleans, the same place where The Undertaker’s legendary undefeated streak came to an end at the hands of Lesnar during Wrestlemania 30 in 2014. And he didn’t forget it. He said that no one would control him and that he goes where he wants, when he wants. “I’ve dug 29 holes for 29 souls, and after I win, I will return to the main event of Wrestlemania,” he said.
Lesnar and Goldberg apart, Taker joins Big E, Kofi Kingston, Xavier Woods, Chris Jericho, Braun Strowman and Baron Corbin on the list on confirmed entrants for the Rumble match. As announced earlier on the show, Seth Rollins too said that he will be entering the 30-man Rumble.
The Royal Rumble returns to the Alamadome for the first time in 20 years and will be Taker’s first since 2007. Incidentally, Taker was the only entrant back in 1997 from the current roster to wrestle in the Rumble. He entered No. 13 before being eliminated by Stone Cold Steve Austin.