5.7 C
Thursday, December 7, 2023

Mohammad Amir bowls sensational 4 wicket maiden in Abu Dhabi T10

Srinagar: Former Pakistan pacer Mohammad Amir delivered...

Before Rescue, History Was Created: Zeeshan becomes first to summit Thajiwas after 78 years 

Other SportsBefore Rescue, History Was Created: Zeeshan becomes first to summit Thajiwas after 78 years 

Srinagar: Before the widely highlighted rescue of climbers from the Thajiwas Glacier happened, the Kashmir mountaineer, Zeeshan Mushtaq had created history by becoming first on to summit the Thajiwas Peak,  Sonamarg, J&K, India after 78 years of gap.The first summit of the highly technical peak after 1945.

It was English mountaineers John Jackson and John Buzzard who had last time set foot on Thajiwas peak in the summer of 1945, posting its second ascent. Since then, no sucessful summit of the 4854m peak took place, till Zeeshan Mushtaq achieved the rare feat after 78 years of gap.

Kashmiri climber Zeeshan Mushtaq reported the third ascent of Thajiwas on Friday, July 7. The 23-year-old pursued the feat alongside Faisal Wani, who stopped short of the summit by “hundreds of meters,” according to Wanderlust.

Zeeshan Mushtaq on Top of Thajiwas Peak, Sonamarg, J&K. Pic/Zeeshan

But the two mountaineers’ historical success wasn’t what generated the climb’s first headlines. Instead, a rescue they required on the descent did.

The Jawahar Institute of Mountaineering and Winter Sports (JIM&WS) and Indian Air Force rescued the two mountaineers on their way down Glacier 2, nestled in the same couloir they’d climbed to access the peak. 

Adverse weather and surface conditions led to an injury to Wani and a dicey standstill as temperatures dropped on the descent. They called for help. And while the rescue efforts succeeded, the story precluded news of the ascent itself.

“As news about our rescue surfaced all over, the story about our historic climb of Thajiwas remained untold and unreported,” Mushtaq said in a July 8 Instagram story.

Now Zeeshan speaking about the Summit sucess provided the detailed report to Dream Wanderlust.

“Mushtaq and Wani lit out for the peak from nearby Sonamarg at 10:30 am on July 1. They climbed alpine style, he told Wanderlust, but still ended up moving slowly. Because no one had climbed Thajiwas via the “Great Couloir” since Jackson and Buzzard almost eight decades before, they were effectively breaking new ground”.

Still, the climb proceeded more or less smoothly. Base camp established, the two men dispatched the glacier climbing without incident. An impassible crevasse separated the glacier from the couloir proper (and thus, access to the summit) and forced a detour.

Relative peril waited above. The 300m couloir climb is a significant obstacle to any Thajiwas hopeful — the 70˚ snow varied wildly in quality due to unreliable weather, Mushtaq advised.

Route to Thajiwas Peak via Great Couloir. Pic/Zeeshan.

“The snow was so soft in places that it made it difficult to gain traction. The ice axe could not be used to secure the surface,” Mushtaq noted.

Continuing undeterred, he wrote, “As we rose in elevation, the views became breathtaking. The majestic Nanga Parbat could be seen from our vantage point, and the vast array of mountains provided a picturesque scene.”

The final pitches required mixed climbing. Mushtaq pressed on after Wani halted for unreported reasons 300m shy of the top. “Braving” this last passage alone, he summited at 11:30 am on July 2 — just over 24 hours after leaving Sonamarg.

“I pushed my body to its absolute limits. Every step tested my endurance, every breath was a reminder of the thin air challenging my lungs and every muscle screamed in protest,” he wrote on Instagram. “Yet amidst the struggle, I found a wellspring of determination that propelled me forward.”

The expedition’s main ordeal was yet to come. Mushtaq said the climbers planned to reverse their route “as quickly as possible.” But the oncoming heat of the afternoon destabilized the snow and, terrifyingly, the climbers slipped and began sliding uncontrollably.

Zeeshan Mushtaq climbing through Great Couloir on way to Thajiwas Peak Summit. Pic/Zeeshan

Wani came to rest below with a leg injury severe enough to halt the group. Hypothermia began to set in. Mushtaq called for a rescue and switched to survival mode.

“I had to take quick and decisive action to protect my partner from the cold. I used my own body heat, as well as clothes, to keep him warm. We stayed calm and waited for the rescue team to arrive,” Mushtaq said.

He and Wani stayed stuck for four hours. Once rescuers responded, the whole group descended to base camp safely, Wani in a stretcher. But hypothermia threatened the injured climber increasingly, Mushtaq worried, so he called in helicopter evac.

Thajiwas Peak with arrow showing the peak Zeeshan summit. Pic/Zeeshan.

Since landing safely in hospital care, Wani has made a “full recovery,” according to Dream Wanderlust.

While he escaped with his life, his climbing partner took home the glory.

“The climb was difficult and taxing, both mentally and physically,” Mushtaq acknowledged. “At the top, the magnificent views of the majestic mountains and valleys gave [me] a sense of accomplishment and pride. I am deeply grateful for the help we received as well as the fact that both of us managed to come out unscathed.”

With inputs from ExplorersWeb, Dream Wonderlust .

Check out our other content

Check out other tags:

Most Popular Articles